The church was one of the first to be built in Goa; it was ready by 1541. The early church was completely rebuilt from its foundations in 1619. The interior of the church is relatively simple by the standards of the time although the backdrop to the main altar, dedicated to Mary Immaculate, is impressive enough.
However, it is the two flanking altars that catch the eye, the one on the left dedicated to Jesus Crucified and that on the right to Our Lady of the Rosary. Each is a riot of heavily gilded, deeply carved ornamentation, yet compact and controlled, a fine example of the period. At the side of each is a marble statue, one of St Peter and one of St Paul. In the south transept to the right of the main altar is a Chapel of St. Francis Xavier, whose glass-encased statue occupies the centre of the reredos.