allaboutgoa.com

The ruins of the Fortress of Colvale

Standing on the northern frontier of Bardez, on the left bank of the Bardez river, this fortress was erected in 1681 by the Court of Alvor as a barrier against the inroads of the Marathas and Bhonsles.

It was taken by the Marathas in 1739, and later recaptured by the Marquis of Lourical on the 13th of June 1741, and had a small garrison, besides a regiment, posted about the same time in a convenient situation. The regiment was moved to Mapusa in 1841, while the fortress, which had been abandoned and neglected a few years previously, went to ruin, and now presents only a few traces of its former might.

Be the first to review this listing!

To write a review, please register or log in.
 

Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. By continuing past this page, you agree to abide by these terms.
Copyright © 2010-2012 allaboutgoa.com. All rights reserved. Best viewed with Google Chrome 11 or Firefox 3.6 and above.

Log In or Register

LOG IN

Register

User Registration
or Cancel