Shantadurga temple, dedicated to the Goddess who mediates between Vishnu and Shiva, is a large temple complex located 33 kms from Panaji at the foothills of Kavalem village in Ponda.
The original temple at Cavelossim was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1564. The devi was shifted to Kavalem and worship continued there. The current temple was constructed during the reign of Maratha ruler Chatrapati Shahu Raje of Satara about 1738 AD.
The temple complex is on the slope of the foothills of a mountain chain, surrounded by lush vegetation. There is a main temple and three smaller temples of other deities which have been built on three sides of the temple. The temple consists of a collection of pyramidal roofs with an interesting dome. The pillars and floorings are made of Kashmir stone. The temple has a huge tank, a deepstambha and agrashalas (guest houses).
Many renovations have been completed over the years to the main temple and the temples of the other deities as well as to the agrashala.