Entry Requirements

Foreign Nationals coming to India are required to possess a genuine and valid national Passport or any other internationally recognised travel document establishing his/her nationality and identity and bearing photograph of the foreigner.

You should ensure its validity for the entire period of your stay. If your Passport is lost or stolen, you should immediately contact the closest embassy or consulate of your country.

Nepal and Bhutan nationals if entering India by land or air from the Nepal or Bhutan border respectively do not require a passport for entering into India. However, they are required to possess, authorised identity proof. Further if they are entering India from a place other than their own country then possession of Passport is a must.


There is no provision of 'Visa on Arrival' in India. Foreigners are advised to ensure that they are in possession of valid Indian Visa before they start their journey to India.

Visa applications can be made at your nearest embassy or consulate in person or by post. Different categories of visas with specific endorsement of numbers of entries allowed and duration of stay in India are mentioned on the visa depending upon request and subsequent decision of the visa issuing authority.

Nationals of Nepal and Bhutan do not require visa to enter India. However, citizens of Nepal require a visa when entering India from China. Nationals of Maldives do not require a visa for entry into India for tourism purpose and stay up to 90 days.

You can find the list of Indian Missionsabroad at the National Portal of India.

Visa Extension

The Foreigner's Division of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) generally has the authority for Visa conversions and extensions to foreigners residing in India. The Foreigners Division of the Ministry of Home Affairs is located at Jaisalmer House, 26, Man Singh Road, New Delhi.

The change of Visa status from one category to another category is normally not allowed. It can be considered by the Ministry of Home Affairs only in extraordinary circumstances. For this purpose, the foreigner needs to approach in person to that office. Foreigners not residing in Delhi may approach the Foreigners Regional Registration Officers (FRROs), Foreigners Registration Officers (FROs) cum Superintendent of Police concerned, who would forward their case to MHA for approval. Applications for extensions/conversions should be made well in advance.

However, for the convenience of the foreigners, the FRROs/District Superintendents of Police (ex-officio FROs) are empowered to make some conversions/extensions for certain types of Visas without referring the same to MHA.

In Goa, tourist visas can be extended by three months at the Foreigners Registration Office located at: Police Headquarters (Ground Floor), Opp. Azad Maidan, Panaji. Tel : +91.832.2428360, 2428738.

You can find more information at Visa Extension section on the National Portal of India.

Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. By continuing past this page, you agree to abide by these terms.
Copyright © 2010-2012 All rights reserved. Best viewed with Google Chrome 11 or Firefox 3.6 and above.

Log In or Register



User Registration
or Cancel