allaboutgoa.com

Attractions

beach130 km of Konkan coast stretches along the state of Goa providing a wide range of choice in beaches to suit everybody's needs. There are unspoilt pristine stretches of sand for the solitude seeker and there are others that are jammed with people in every square foot of sand.

The rugged Western Ghats, known as the Sahyadris in Goa, make it an ideal haven for many species of birds and animals and also provide a corridor for migration.

Goa’s temples combine aspects of Muslim and Christian architecture into basically Hindu layouts. Domed roofs are a Muslim trait, while whitewashed octagonal towers and balustrade façades have been borrowed from Portuguese church architecture. Of particular note are the deepastambhas (lamp towers) that are almost exclusive to Goan temples and are decorated with oil lamps at festival times.

Goa’s churches owe the majority of their design features to the European traditions of their time, and some are copies of buildings in Rome or Lisbon - with practical modifications to suit the local climate.

The prominent forts in Goa such as Tiracol, Chapora, Fort Aguada, Reis Magos, Gaspar Dias, Cabo and Cabo de Rama are historic specimen of immense military, political and economic importance in a land crisscrossed by rivers and canals and bordered by sea on the west.

 
68 results - showing 11 - 15
Ordering: 
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 7 14 »
 
Convent of St Cajetan and Church of Divine Providence, Old Goa
The large and beautiful Church of St Cajetan, lies about half a kilometre away to the north east of the Se Cathedral, and quite near the ruins of the Viceregal Palace. This church, which is said to have been modelled on the original design...
 
 
 
Our Lady Of The Immaculate Conception Church, Panjim
The church was one of the first to be built in Goa; it was ready by 1541. The early church was completely rebuilt from its foundations in 1619. The interior of the church is relatively simple by the standards of the time although the...
 
 
 
Aguada Fort
Aguada Fort is the largest and the best-preserved Portuguese bastion in Goa and was built in 1609-12, to control the entry into the river Mandovi and to protect Old Goa from potential enemy attacks.
 
 
 
Chapora Fort
Located 10 kms from Mapusa, the red-laterite bastion was built by the Portuguese in 1617 on the site of an earlier Muslim structure. Intended as a border watch post, it fell to various Hindu raiders during the 17th century, before finally being deserted by...
 
 
 
Shantadurga Temple
Shantadurga temple, dedicated to the Goddess who mediates between Vishnu and Shiva, is a large temple complex located 33 kms from Panaji at the foothills of Kavalem village in Ponda.
 
 
 
 
68 results - showing 11 - 15
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 7 14 »

Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. By continuing past this page, you agree to abide by these terms.
Copyright © 2010-2012 allaboutgoa.com. All rights reserved. Best viewed with Google Chrome 11 or Firefox 3.6 and above.

Log In or Register

LOG IN

Register

User Registration
or Cancel